Monday, August 13, 2012

August 13, 2012. Western Head, NS. Another Book.

I have know Albert all my life even though I knew nothing much about him... until now.   The Albert Hall and The Victoria and Albert Museum were both familiar to me, after being named after Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria.   I knew he died young and I knew Victoria never got over mourning his death, and I knew he was German, but that was about the extent of my knowledge.  This new book,  "Albert", by Jules Stewart tells it all.   And a good tale it is.

The author suggests that the survival of British monarchy was the result of Albert's influence on Queen Victoria and his attitude to British politics.    I have often wondered how the British Royals have survived when all the others have been blown away.  This book gives you the answers or at least another of the theories.   The book is easy to read and interesting and well within the time frame familiar to us all.   I have enjoyed reading about this dedicated clever man and only wish he had not died at age 42.

No comments: