Saturday, August 18, 2012

August 18, 2012. Western Head, NS. Hugh Crosby.

At a yard sale in 1999,  I purchased two pen and ink drawings of houses.   The artist was Hugh Crosby.   When I showed the two pieces to my friend Mary McD. she told me that Hugh was born and raised in Liverpool, who now lived and painted in Prince Edwards Island.   These paintings of mine appeared to be an early Hugh Crosby, perhaps done when he was at school.   Ever since that time, I have wanted to meet Hugh Crosby.

We now own several pieces painted by Hugh, all purchased by the Adja gallery in town.   Last year, Hugh returned to live in Liverpool, and has opened a gallery in  a small building behind his home in Beach Meadows.  Today we met him.  I knew he has gotten involved in pottery but now he is not painting at all, but is spending all his time with his pottery.  

I told him about our first home drawings and he asked us to bring them out so he could date them.   Pen and ink sketches of homes were the first art where he made money.   He is a wonderful artist, well known in Nova Scotia and PEI.   I am delighted to have finally met him.  I hope he gets back to painting and I wish I could afford to buy more of his work.  He is a nice man and a wonderful artist.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Very interesting information about Crosby. We are exhibiting one of his works in our little gallery in Savannah - owned by a resident - and would like to know his birth date. I assume he is still living?
Thanks,
Carol