Friday, August 17, 2012

August 17, 2012. Western Head, NS. Band Camp.

Today was the final concert of the Band Camp in Liverpool.  I have attended many many final concerts at band camps both for myself and for my children.  Today at the Gorham school in Liverpool I heard a very enjoyable concert.   The kids loved the music they were playing and so did the audience.  The teachers chose music appealing to the players with lots of jazz and uptempo music.   I have heard better bands but I have never enjoyed a better concert.

This is the third year for the band camp to be held in Liverpool.   The camp is open to all ages so at camp were four ladies over 60 along with an 8 year old trumpet player.   Scott started up the Mersey Band five years ago and to increase the expertise of the players, he started band camp.  Every year the playing at camp is better.  My friend Mary attends band camp as a way to improve her flute playing.  Today she played a solo in one piece and she sounded great.   It was quite a thrill to hear the expertise and the enthusiasm of the players in the camp.   The new bandmaster, Rod,  was in attendance too and is looking forward to taking up the leadership of the band.  He will also run the band camp next year.    

It was an impressive hour, being a part of the final concert of the Liverpool Band Camp.  I was surprised and delighted with the event.

No comments: