Thursday, August 16, 2012

August 16, 2012. Western Head, NS. Alone.

For years I have been asked about what we did all by ourselves at the farm?    We had no television and we lived in a remote area, so friends were puzzled what we do with ourselves when we were there.  Now I get the same questions about our little cottage.   "What do you do there?" is what we are asked.

Yesterday after breakfast, Ken and I slipped away to the cottage.   All morning, I read while sitting on the end of the dock in the shade.  And I swam twice.   While sitting by myself, three loons came visiting and sang their cray calls.    Another lone loon came up very close to the raft.  I was trying to read the John MacDonald book but ended up watching loons.  They must be getting ready to head south.

Betty and Vinal came out for a late lunch and headed home by 3:00.  Ken fished while I read.  The evening was lovely so we sat outside on the deck by the house.  As we ate a large lunch of hamburgers and hodge podge, Ken and I ate yogurt and raisin bread for dinner.  Inside the little house we read all evening.  No radio and no television and absolutely no sounds of machines could be heard.  It was the sound of silence.

The weather forecast for today was for rain so we left mid morning and drove back roads to Bridgewater, then home along the river and the shore.  It was a lovely drive.  It was also a day away from responsibilities and sounds.  We loved it.

No comments: