Wednesday, December 18, 2013

December 18, 2013. Ridgeland, Mississippi. Packing.

I thought long and hard about what I need to take in my suitcase and I made the decisions.   Being away for five months is a long time but my system is to launder regularly.   Normally, we take one weeks clothing in our bag and keep wearing the same clothes, week after week.  This works well for a month but not for five.  Also we will be in settings that require fancy clothes.    I know we will be in summer in New Zealand, but I expect their summers will be similar to Nova Scotia summers, so we will need warmer clothes.   Going through the Panama Canal and through the tropics on the boat means I need warm weather clothes.   It means taking more clothes.

 In my mind, I knew what clothes to bring.   I brought clothes from the farm and from Texas, but what I did not know was whether or not they would fit in my case....until now.    This morning, I sorted through my clothes.   I was ruthless, putting back in the drawers any duplicates, then folded and stacked the clothes I was taking.   Much to my great surprise, everything fit.   Success.

Yesterday, Ken and I bought new very small overnight cases for our medications.   Our old rolling cases don't fit in overheads well so we bought small cases that look just like our bigger ones. except very small.   Although they are small, they hold all our medicines plus space left over to be used for overnight stuff.   They will work well when we tour New Zealand with our own driver.

For the first time ever, Ken packed his new medication case early.  Whoopee.   With our new bigger bag and our new small bag we are ready to hit the high seas.    December 28 we leave Jackson, to return May 30.   Even though I am using a bigger bag, I think I will be sick of looking at those clothes.  Now I am packed, ten days early and I will relax and enjoy Christmas.   My job is done.

No comments: