Friday, December 6, 2013

December 6, 2013. Ridgeland, Mississippi. Birthdays.

Lethargy is it's own reward.   If you don't do anything to get a ball rolling, the ball will never start down the hill and nothing will happen.   Then you won't need to do anything except watch the world go by.   It is the same in the world of social events.    If you wait for someone else to plan and execute an event,  nothing might happen, so I have learned to take the bull by the horns and just plan.    This is especially true for birthdays.   I leave nothing to chance.    If I want folks to celebrate my birthday, I plan an event, even though I do not tell anyone it is my birthday.     It is my own surprise party for them.

Today is my birthday.  I am 76 years old today.  In 2017 I will be 80 and we will plan another Big O party.  But tonight, I invited my Mississippi family along with the Sutherland Family to join us for dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Ridgeland.  The Sutherlands feel like family to us anyway.   The dinner was fun and festive and everyone enjoyed the celebration.   It would have been easy to just stay home quietly and enjoy each others company, but instead we shared the joy and everyone left for home very happy.  Gathering people together is valuable on many levels.  The seven children loved being part of the birthday and the adults were just pleased to be together.    Most of all, I enjoyed being with loving family and friends.  That is worth making the effort of planning the dinner party, all for myself.

No comments: