Wednesday, December 4, 2013

December 4, 2013. Ridgeland, Mississippi. Sam Robson.

I know nothing about him, except I know he sings and as best as I can tell, he sings only hymns.    He can be heard on You Tube videos where he does acapella singing using multi track recordings.  Basically, he sings with himself, singing multiple  parts and harmonies.  And he sings hymns.  They are great.   Tonight I sang "It is Well With My Soul", and "Great is Thy Faithfulness".

Next I turned to a Bruce Chen video of the Three Tenors, singing "It Is Well With My Soul", performed in Bath.  He also gave the history of how the hymn was written.   It also was on You Tube.

Finally, on my screen was a David Dawes playing a cornet solo,  "Glorious Ventures".  He was in Salvation Army uniform, and the band was a Salvation Army Band but it did not tell me anything about David or the Band.  Maybe someone will tell me.  He is a good player.

I am often asked about my background.  People want to know what in my upbringing has taken.  My response is always the same, in that I still love the hymns of the church and Salvation Army Bands.   My life has always been grounded with firm Christian concepts, which of course has come from my upbringing in a Christian family, belonging to The Salvation Army.  Tonight,  I had a happy hour on the Internet, listening to the hymns of the church and to the Salvation Army...all on You Tube.  Wonderful technology.

No comments: