Tuesday, December 3, 2013

December 3, 2013. Ridgeland, Mississippi. The Post Office.

When I walked into the Ridgeland Post Office, the place was almost empty.   There were no long lines of people waiting to be served.   One customer was being served and one man behind the counter of about 50 was standing waiting to help me.   I was delighted and as I walked up to him I said "You are making my day.  I do not need to wait in line at the post office".     He did not smile.   But what he said  to me made me very sad for him.  He said, "I will make my day at 5:30 when I am off duty".

I had eight different types of transactions.   It was complicated.  The man was competent and even though I tried to lighted the experience, he was having no part of having fun on his job.    He was just putting in the hours until he could leave at 5:30.

The sad part is that if he would just enjoy the customers and have fun on his job, the time would move along much faster.   I did everything I could to make him smile or laugh but he never did.    He did his job and that was all he did.   He answered my queries with a yes or no.  Nothing more.  It was sad for him and irritating to me that he refused to make our mundane task turned into a pleasant event.    Most people in Mississippi are gracious and pleasant but not that man in the Post Office.  He just wanted to go home.

No comments: