Saturday, December 7, 2013

December 7, 2013. Ridgeland, Mississippi. Anticipation.

This evening, Ken and I have been invited to a Mississippi Christmas Party, to be held in the home of the Greaves Family in Madison County.   I am full of anticipation.   Firstly, we have never attended a Christmas Party in Mississippi.   Secondly, many of the guest will be new to us, which always brings pleasure.

The five siblings give a big party together at their family home every few years.   Mrs. Greaves, who is 86,  still lives there, along with the oldest son and his wife.  The home is big and it is old so seeing it decorated for Christmas will be a delight, I am sure.   All five grown children invited friends so no telling how many people will be there.  I know we were to bring our dancing slippers.  When Christina asked about dress, she was told by Eleanor that  "you could wear whatever you wish but in Mississippi we do like to dress up."   One thing I will look for is what people are wearing.

I have always held my anticipation of future pleasures in check, knowing that often events are disappointing.  I never promise a good time in my mind but when all is well, I am delighted so enjoy it thoroughly.  It is perverse I know but it has worked.  But tonight, I see no down side.  I will wander and look and talk and enjoy so at the moment, two hours before party time, I am looking forward with pleasure to attending my first Mississippi Christmas Party.

No comments: