Wednesday, December 25, 2013

December 25, 2013. Ridgeland, Mississippi. Christmas Day.

Our Christmas Day was perfect.   We arrived at Andrew and Christina's home just after they had finished opening presents, so we walked in with a big bag of goodies for each girl and a smaller bag for the adults.   It took the girls an hour to go through their new belongings.   They were delighted with each object but the ones they liked the best were the two pieces of art.    While we drank coffee and admired our own gifts and stockings from Santa,  the girls were glowing, surrounded by their gifts.

Christina made breakfast casserole which we ate while watching the Disney Parade.   I like parades.  Phone conversations with David and Suzanne and the girls in San Antonio made us wish we were all together, but they were happy to be heading west to ski.   Molly received a video for Christmas, so we all watched together.  Ken and I took a walk while Molly rested.   Then just after 4:30, Linda, along with Peter and Bethany and their two children arrived for dinner.   Beef tenderloin, mashed potatoes, green beans and brussel sprouts were served and was delicious.  After a break and conversation,  we ate a dessert of bread pudding and ice cream, made by Christina.

I have read and heard that families have difficulty over holidays.   It has never happened  to me.   Our Christmas times have always been happy and fun, with never a harsh word.   As I am 76 and am aware of at least 72 different Christmas Days, I can say with assurance that Christmas Days have always been a delight to me.  Perhaps I was lucky with my families both past and present.

No comments: