Wednesday, December 14, 2016

December 14, 2016. Madison, Mississippi. The Grocery Store.

This morning, our fridge had no milk.  Nor any bread or berries, so Ken and I went to Primos for breakfast.   Going to Primos for breakfast is not a hardship.  The food is excellent and many folks in these parts have breakfast  there every day.   These regulars have memorized the menu so they just walk in and order and sit down and wait for the food to appear.

Next task was mailing our Christmas cards at the post office which is just around the corner..   And last on our list was going to the grocery store.  I can not drive so Ken dropped me off.  The plan was for me to call him when I was finished at the grocery store.  Now Ken has a habit of not answering his phone so we laughed that I might get stuck waiting outside, waiting for him to finally answer his phone.  But today he answered immediately so our plan worked.

At the grocery store, I like to walk up and down every isle.  I use it for exercise and also to look at all the items on sale.  By the time I have completed my walk, the grocery cart is full and everything on my list is in the cart.   The grocery store is excellent.  Krogers is the local chain.  It is not quite up to the level of excellence at  HEB in Texas but it is pretty close.  Their deli section has lots of variety.  And they have two sushi chefs working away every day.  I brought lunch for us today.  I actually enjoy going to the grocery store perhaps because I only go every so often.

When I first started going to groceries store  in 1958, I had limited cash so as I put objects into my cart, I added up the cost of each item.  By the time I was ready to check out, I knew within five dollars how much I needed to pay.  I did it so long that my brain automatically adds up the total in my cart.  I can still tell within ten dollars how much I need at checkout.   It is ridiculous but true.  Now, one of the joys of going to the grocery store is that I am not concerned about the money in my purse, but old habits die hard.  Our grocery store is one I enjoy visiting.

No comments: