Monday, December 5, 2016

December 5, 2016. Madison, Mississippi. Maple Syrup.

Today I poured the last of the gallon jug of maple syrup given to me by my sister and brother in law from Williamsport, Ontario.  Carol and Ken visited us each year.  They came to the farm every so often, to Nova Scotia every Fall and to Texas every few years.  They always brought us a gallon jug of maple syrup from their Mennonite friends who were neighbors.   Both Carol and Ken died several years ago so we will not be getting any more.  I felt sad when I poured the last.

Sometimes we were overloaded with the syrup so I froze it, which is why I am just now using the last of the jug brought down from the farm.  Ken used to laugh about it because we always had so much on hand  but he will miss it now.

Making maple syrup is not easy and is labor intensive especially as the Mennonites use no electricity.   Their friends always saved sever gallons for Carol, so we never went without maple syrup in our homes.  I think we have enjoyed that syrup from Carol and Ken for over thirty years.  We like maple syrup.  Ken uses it every morning on his cereal.  Now we will have to buy our own.  But it will not be the same.  This summer I used the last of our supply in Nova Scotia.  Now we have eaten the last here in Mississippi.  Hats off to Carol and Ken for their generosity.  I still miss them and their maple syrup.

No comments: