Thursday, December 1, 2016

December 1, 2016. Madison, Mississippi. The Grey Cup.

My family had moved from Calgary to Vancouver late in 1947.  In fact, my brother stayed back in Calgary in order to complete his high school and joined us in Vancouver the next June.  My father moved to Calgary from England with his family somewhere in 1913, so Calgary was his home town and he always cheered for The Calgary Stampeders even when we lived in the east.  1948 was the first time the Stampeders won the Grey Cup, the championship of the Canadian Football League.  They had won the Grey Cup several times since 1948.

I remember the year because a family friend,  Mr. Honeychurch,  sent my father a big package that said in large print Calgary 35, and in tiny letters, the opposite team and their score.  It was fun.  When my father died, we found that package in his belongings.   I wonder where it is now?  

This past Sunday, the Calgary Stampeders were expected to win again, but they got fooled.  The Ottawa Red Blacks beat them for the championship.  According to the announcers, the Stampeders were heavily favored but for the first half it was all Ottawa.  But Calgary stormed back in the second half to tie the game, only to see Ottawa win at the last minute.   It was exciting but as usual, I can not sit still for the whole game.  I always cheer for the underdogs but my father would not be pleased to see me cheering for anyone other that Calgary so I stayed neutral.  But to tell the truth, I was pleased to see Ottawa win the Grey Cup.  Our Ottawa family is pleased too .  

No comments: