Friday, July 28, 2017

July 28, 2017. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Waiting.

David had to wait almost an hour waiting for the Kerrville Title to prepare the settlement sheet. They were not diligent with the details.  For instance, 20 minutes prior to the 2:00 settlement, they called for our social security numbers because the mortgage company had not yet sent the payoff.  But the settlement did occur.  Now we are having trouble getting the funds wired because they say it must go to a trust account.  Interesting.

Once upon a time, many years ago when I was a real estate agent, I was attending the settlement for my purchaser, who had just graduated from law school.  Prior to the event, he warned me that he would read every page he was required to sign.  I had been told that many times but usually after a few pages and after discussion with the attorney they realize that the forms are boiler plate and have been used millions of times, so they stop reading every page.  But not my buyer.   There were no problems to be resolved.  He just needed to read every page.  I thought his wife was going to kill him.  The settlement went on for ever.

Fortunately, the office was in a house in Tacoma Park, with trees outside the windows.  While we sat and waited,  a family of sparrows could be seen in their nest.  While we watched for those hours, one by one the birds fledged and left the nest.  It was thrilling.  I have always been grateful for that purchaser for forcing us to sit quietly for so long because we got to see something that I had never seen before or since.  Waiting does have rewards.

No comments: