Saturday, July 8, 2017

July 8, 2017. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Rhubarb.

Today I ate a bowl of stewed rhubarb.  It was delicious.  Yesterday,  Ken pulled the rhubarb from our one plant beside the well.  He cut up the stalks and put the cut rhubarb in a big pot.  I added a small amount of water and put  the pot to boil.   After an hour or so I added sugar to taste, then simmered the pot for a few minutes.  Finally I set it beside the stove to cool.  Eventually I transferred the stewed rhubarb to a  container, labelled it, and put it in the fridge.  This morning for breakfast I ate a big bowl.

My Mother knew I liked rhubarb so she almost always kept a bowl in the fridge.  One Saturday evening I had returned home late.  Everyone was asleep so I was carrying my shoes in my hand.  I also was carrying a book and a bowl of rhubarb, to eat as a late night snack.  As I clicked on my light switch, the bowl of rhubarb fell onto  the chair, which was unfortunately covered with clothes.  I had a mess on my hands.  My solution was to leave the rhubarb where it was and go to sleep, which I did.  I have no recollection of what I did the next morning but I can still recall that spilled rhubarb.

My favorite dessert is a strawberry rhubarb pie, with ice cream.  Every northern home had a rhubarb patch.   We can not grow it in either Texas or Mississippi.  But from time to time, I can find it in the grocery store.  It was a treat to find that our own rhubarb patch was ready to be harvested.  Eating a bowl this morning returned me to my youth.  More nostalgia.

No comments: