Wednesday, October 3, 2018

October 3, 2018. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Alterations.

Sherry lives in Liverpool on Old Port Mouton Road. Her house is old, as is the barn but a large room has been added to the old house so Sherry can sew. Her work room is large but cluttered so the room seems small. She works at a table in the center with three machines across the table. She is a lovely lady who does good work. I always ask her what she is working on and she shows me her work, which is beautiful. Last year she had just made two bridesmaid dresses and one bridal gown. Nifty. Yesterday she showed me a dress to be altered. The young lady is in a wedding and she ordered the dress on line. Sherry will make it fit properly. When I returned from the Ontario wedding I knew I needed elastic in the waist. I intend to use that outfit on the cruise. So I took it to Sherry on the Tuesday after my return. She promised to be finished in time for my departure on Sunday and she was true to her word. I picked the pants up yesterday. On the way over I told Katie about Sherry. I told her two facts: The first was the quality of her work and the second was that she under charges. In other words, she under values her work. Sure enough, when I asked what I owed her, she told me $6. I gave her a ten dollar bill, for which she was grateful. Last year in Mississippi, I had the same thing done to a skirt and I was charged $30. Katie and I were trying to figure out her charges. We wondered if she gets paid by an hour and figure out the time it took to complete the task? Or does she have a scale based on a chart? Last year when she fixed my old dress, she charged me a small amount to put on new pockets. Her charge was small and when I suggested she should charge more she told me it only took twenty minutes. But she does not take into account her brains behind what she does. What she did for my dress was clever. What I suggested her to do was nothing what was done. It was better. I am pleased she stays in business in Liverpool. One day I will ask her about her pricing. But for now, I am happy...and so is my pants.

No comments: