Wednesday, February 13, 2008

february 13,2008. Nueavo Vallarta. Green Flash.

We saw it!!  We three saw it!  While sitting on the balcony watching the sunset we actually saw the green flash, just as the sun dropped beneath the horizon, just as we have been told.  This green flash has been described to me for many years and for years while in the tropics we have watched for this green flash.  But I never saw it.  I assumed that the good folks doing the telling had previously drank too much rum, then saw the green flash, so I was very sceptical of ever seeing the green flash.  But I kept looking.  Ken has previously seen a picture of the green flash, so I did have some faith..but not much.  And then it happened.

We three are in the habit of having a drink while watching the sunset.  Suzanne and I having a beer and Ken a glass of cranberry grape, so at least one of us was cold sober.  I have binoculars to my eyes, Ken and Suzanne watching the sun setting, the sun just coming past a thin layer of clouds, and it happened.  Right at the top of the sun was a thin layer of green, visible with the naked eye but spectacular with the binoculars.  We all exclaimed with glee. But we saw it.  We really saw it.  And I was such a sceptic.

For the past three days we have seen whales from our balcony. Lots of whales. Spouts big and small and bodies rolling over the top of the water are a wonderful sight to see. Today the whales are off to another spot on the bay.  Too bad.

No comments: