Thursday, February 28, 2008

February 28, 2008. The benefits of age.

I have had a great blessing in my life. I was early taught to count my blessings. In our family we did not talk about what we did not have. We only discussed what we were going to do. This included what we had to be grateful for in our life. The result of this early training has meant that I am totally oblivious about things I can't change. And I have been accused more than once of being a Pollyanna. ( Is this common knowledge?) Now that I am 70, I can see how much pleasure that attitude of mine has brought to my life. I am often asked what about my Salvation Army background has stuck with me and what I have shed. Clearly the attitude of counting my blessings has stuck. Also the joy of living. Both great blessings in my life.

The benefits of being 70 are huge. I have had the pleasure of watching the children grow up and become competent and successful. Not only my children but the children of my friends and other family members have brought joy. One side affect of my job of twenty years has been to watch the agents gain expertise and income and then watch the children of the agents grow up, go to college and join the real world of work. And now we see the children of the children coming along. Great continuity, great comfort to the old folks. We even have a few second generation agents in the office, and that has been fun.

Ken is more excited about going to the farm this weekend than anything since surgery. This is a good sign. Up till now he has been a good soldier but now he has joined the world of the living, I believe.

2 comments:

dave buckley said...

I'm not sure the joy of counting our blessings and not being concerned about what we didn't have ever quite took with me - at least for the 1st half of my life. I'm better now, thank goodness.I was always conscious of sweaters with holes in the sleeves, having to buy things I didn't like because they were on sale, never having enough money etc etc. Probably the 3rd child was never as aware of this stuff as the 1st plus by the 3rd, the parents are more skillful.

I too am excited to watch the children do amazing things and the grandchildren likewise. Just in the last month #1 son Norm has been appointed Full Professor at McMaster University and #1 daughter Wendy has been made a member of the President's Circle of Excellence for Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, a global corporate award which gives her a week in Rome at a 5 star hotel. Ken and his wife Anne are important players in the Triumf Nuclear Research Facility at UBC.

Quite wonderful.

Dave.

Rambling with Ruth said...

David, there in no question being the third child makes for an easier childhood, but not necessarily the best. Also I had the good fortune of having 2 older cousins who sent Carol and me their leftover clothes, so I never recall sweaters with holes. But probably I was just oblivious to my looks!!