Wednesday, February 6, 2008

February 6,2008, Chevy Chase Cleaning Silver

Cleaning silver is not such a bad job.  In fact, the  results out weigh the actual work.  Firstly the objects put back in place make the whole apartment brighter.  And secondly touching each object is a reminder of how and where this piece was acquired.  I polished the water pitcher given to my parents for their 25th anniversary.  I can't recall who gave it to them.  I polished my Aunt Miriam's best silver flatwear.  Next up was four expresso cups, given to us by our David for Christmas.  They are beautiful little silver cups and saucers with china inserts.  We love them.Unfortunately we don't drink expresso coffee at night so ever since he was 13 when he gave them to us he has thought that we do not like them.  He still is of the same opinion, but now we all laugh.  I polished an old butter knife with' Mother' on the handle.  I don't know if that would have been my mother or grandmother, but I enjoyed polishing it.  Two sauce dishes were not easy to clean.  I purchased them along with a full set of  Austrian silver in Toronto.  I couldn't carry them home to Gill's house, and I had trouble getting a taxi.  All the while I was sure these expensive(for me) objects would be stolen before I could get a rider on our insurance policy.  The real question I ask my self is how it took me two years to polish that same silver.  I have no answer.

The Wilson Quarterly is a splendid periodical.  Thankfully it is published quarterly.  This issue has an article on the African revolution .  The article is about the farming revolution in Africa, and the fact that many small farmers in Africa are doing  very well indeed.  This is the first time I have heard of it.  Frances Itani is another fine Canadian author.  I am reading "Deafening".  My friend Wendy is keeping me supplied with reading material and for that I am grateful.

1 comment:

kristin said...

Wow!!
These posts are a delight to read and all the "history" that comes along with them.
Of course, the speedy recovery for Ken is what we all want to see and pray for.
Indeed as you mentioned Ruth the brain is a wonderful thing so is our body full of surprises and miracles that can happen to it.