Friday, February 1, 2008

February 1, 2008, Chevy Chase, Maryland.

Today is the birthday of Mary Frances Dickie, and she is eight years old.  She is a great joy to her grandparents, but her teacher thinks she falls off her chair too often.  Who cares about chairs anyway.

"Ah shit".  Since Ken has been home I've heard that expression many time coming from another part of the apartment.  And I bet I hear it softly from afar many more times too.  We have been given the same advice from lots of friends, that the first six weeks after this surgery is very uncomfortable, but when I question them about the specifics, I get no real answers.  Even the doctors and nurses are somewhat vague.  Other than you loose your taste, you get depressed, and hurt like hell.  Ken I figure that the memory has all been suppressed as to the specifics.

Ken and I have been in this apartment for two and a half days together.  I think it is a first.  Ken calls me a true housewife.  I am surprised I can fill my days.  It rained almost all day so it was a good day to stay home.  So other than doing three trips to the laundry downstairs, we have been home together for these days.

I was reminded of a quote from a character in a book by Alexander McCall Smith "the sum total of human happiness are little acts. Small things. A word of encouragement. A gesture of encouragement. So easy."  He is the writer of the Isabel Dalhousie novels, and the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, and two new books now being reviewed (where I was reminded of the quote).  He is so prolific it makes your head spin.  You can tell I read a lot during the day when Ken is sleeping. 

Ken is doing well but not well enough to keep him happy.  It's the magic 6.  In 6 weeks you will be more comfortable.  In six months you will feel better than you have in ten years.  Every one has the same story.  We both hope they are true .

1 comment:

dave buckley said...

Ruth and Ken just think you are now in the second of those six weeks!
Yes, Alexander McCall Smith is wonderful, I have read many of his books. You can just see "Precious" from his descriptions. Take care of each other. Love, Irene