Tuesday, February 26, 2008

February 26, 2008. Chevy Chase. Rambling.

Once again I worked today for four hours.  That means that Ken was by himself for the four hours. And all was well.  Now we are going to try to ramble up to the farm this weekend.  We have 32 calves at the farm so we are very anxious to see them.  New born calves are the cutest creatures on the face of the earth.  If the weather is very cold Ken will have to walk inside.

I have been rambling through my cherry chest of drawers tonight, trying to find a charger for our xm radio.  I found an old writing came of mine full of treasures, including a letter I received from my Mother after she had died.  That was a bit creepy at the time but I treasure it now.  And I found many letters from Miss. Tomlinson, a dear friend of my grandmother.  They met in Peterborough when Miss. T was teaching my brother  2nd grade.  They were kindred spirits from the start, both well read proper ladies, and continued to be dear friends even tho they never lived in the same city.  We lived in Peterborough for four years, and grandma Houghton visited us for time to time, but she never living with us.  I often how they got to be such good friends? In those days, long letters were common, so I suppose they both kept a full correspondence.  I always exchanged Christmas cars with Miss. T. but when we moved to Washington she wrote  me and asked us to search out a statute of the seven seas with the gulls, as she had seen the statute many years ago and wondered if it was still there.  Sure enough, this statute is on the George Washington parkway.  We took pictures and when she received them she was overjoyed,  I have her letter of thanks.  Of course she was very old and long retired, but still active in her mind.  In fact she told me all about the artist and when it was built and why.

In one of her letters she told me to develop  a lot of God's grace when I was young, because when I was old I was going to need every ounce.  She was a very wise woman as I was reminded while rambling through my cherry chest of drawers.

1 comment:

dave buckley said...

Actually it was the 4th grade.

Dave.