Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February 27,2008. Chevy Chase. The Modern World.

I like the world as it is today.  Many good folks pine for the good old days.  But not me.  I like the ease of transportation and communication. Modern medicine is a marvel and both Ken and I would be dead without the technology and medicines.  Sources of information are unlimited.  So put all together, this is a wonderful world.

Today I would have gladly retreated back 20 years.  I was in the waiting room of Ken's cardiologist.  The room was full of  patients waiting to see the good Doctor.  Many of the folks were elderly, many wives along to hear the real story, and while they wait they talk softly to each other or read the outdated magazines.  Then in walks a man about 50 talking on his cell phone, all the while signing in the sheet and answering the questions all  talking on his cell phone.  He does not take off his coat, but sits down and continues this ridiculous conversation.  For the next 15 minutes he talks on his cell phone while we are forced to hear every stupid word.  The conversation was not about business, but general gossip about the next lunch date or golf game or who is going to go where this winter.  His arrogance was astonishing.  I don't think he was even aware of the other 10 people in the room.  I surprised myself by keeping quiet.  But I watched him.  Then the assistant came to ask him back to see the Doctor.  He is still on the cell phone talking when he gets up and removes his jacket, walks over to the coat rack, still talking, hangs up his jacket and stands there while the assistant  is still holding the door open for him.  He took 3 minutes to finish his call, after being told that the Doctor is ready.  All this in the office of a Cardiologist, and this jerk is all of 45 or 50.  Clearly this man thinks he is a very important person, at least in his own eyes.  But I bet he is really made up of all the rest of us, and the cardiologist will get him humble.  I bet.

One aspect of cell phone etiquette needs improvement in the modern world.  But I refrained to give him standard lecture number one.  But I wanted to.  Talk on your cell phone in a private place Sir.  Step out in the hall until you are finished.  Those are the rules in the modern world Sir!!

No comments: