Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October 1, 2008. Chevy Chase, Md. Baseball Playoffs.

I love post season Baseball. For some reason that I don't understand, I never watch baseball during the regular season, perhaps because Ken does not enjoy watching baseball. But he is somewhat interested in the World Series, and as I love to watch the post season games, we often watch a lot of the games. My Father was always keen on baseball, and I believe kept track of who was winning and losing through the season. But it was my teachers in grades six, seven and eight who really got me hooked on the World Series. I attended Edith Cavell School in Vancouver during those grades. It was a small school, with excellent teachers. There was only one class in each grade. One teacher, Mr. Clark taught the seventh grade and Mr. Bowering taught the eighth grade and also was the Vice Principal. These two teachers taught Math and Science, and the whole World Series season was kept on the radio all day. We calculated all the stats for all the players. We discussed the strategy for the Managers. We discovered all the scientific facts available about Baseball. It was a lot of fun. Of course we learned a lot of math and science too. Both those teachers went on to become very successful careers as Principals in High Schools, in fact Mr. Bowering was the principal of the school that my friend Beverley attended, Gladstone School. So my love with The World Series all started when the games were played during the day and we listened to the games on the radio. That were never happen today. No teacher would be allowed to leave the radio on for the students, letting us hear the games, and no games are ever held during the daytime during the week.

In those years, the competition was between the Yankees and Dodgers, of course both in New York. Right now I am half listening to the game between the Chicago Cubs and the Los Angeles Dodgers, but I can not get interested in the Dodgers, even tho they have a great Manager. I would like to see Boston and Chicago meet in the World Series. I have already figured out that I have a problem. We go to Texas on the thirteenth of October. We have no TV at the lake or the ranch. Horrors. Then we go to Mexico for a two week period, and I am wondering if the condo will have the series on the TV. My goodness, the problems in my life are frightful!!

No comments: