Thursday, October 16, 2008

October 16, 2008. Harper, Texas. Belongings 2.

I think it is all genetically programmed. As we go though life, a lot of events just happened to us. Right now, a lot of things are happening to my body whether I am directing it or not, and I am suspicious the same thing happened to my Grandmother. She accumulated lots and lots of stuff in her home, only to want to get rid of it all. Ken and I were talking just the other day about what to do with all our books. I suspect that we are hard wired to gather belongings in order to provide for our Family, only to have that gene turned off in later life, so we feel inclined to get rid of all our stuff. Certainly the drive to accumulate objects seems universal. Even my parents who moved from one Salvation Army quarters to the next kept taking some treasures from one house to the next. They did not care much for worldly wealth, but they loved one Royal Doulton figurine which was always prominently displayed in the living room. But at some point, My Grandmother decided that enough is enough, and she got rid of all her belongings, and she did it cheerfully. I wonder when that gene will kick in with us?

I was thinking about how we accumulate when I looked at all the stuff being loaded on the truck. Andrew and Christina have been married for twelve years or so, and now they needed two trucks to transport all their stuff. Now I know I have helped them get their house full of objects, as we gave them gifts every year. And Christina owns her Grandmother's china and crystal. but my goodness, one large truck and one small truck to carry all their belongings to Mississippi makes you realize how affluent we all are. Also, I am beginning to try to figure out what to do with all our belongings. But I have decided that now is not the right time. I intend , during my 70's to enjoy my present life and work and visit family and friends at our properties. Then in our 80's, I will slowly and surely,give away our objects. I hope I have the same attitude as my Grandmother's when the time arrives.

No comments: