Wednesday, October 15, 2008

October 15, 2008. Harper Texas. Gerry Mewhirter

I have just been told that Gerry has died. He has been a friend for a very long time, so I have very mixed emotions. On the one hand I am very grateful this last period of his life is over, as the past month has been difficult to all his loved ones, including us. On the other hand, I am very sad to miss him in my life, but of course, the Gerry I knew and loved left us a while ago, so I really am selfish to want the old Gerry, the one with energy and enthusiasm and charm, and of course, competence. Every task he took on to do, he did well, from his volunteer work to his business success. Now he is gone, but I will always be grateful to have had Gerry Mewhirter in my life.

Now there are certain facts about Gerry that were apparent. First off, he was Irish. He emigrated to Canada in the mid 50's, and moved to Toronto to work in the travel business. He maintained that Irishness his whole life through. Secondly, he came to church with a friend, Gordon Fairbanks, to the Danforth Corps of the Salvation Army, where I was a member of the Songster Brigade and where I played in the timbrel group, whose leader was Florence Martin. Now Florence was a very proper lady, and Gerry was not particularly religious, but they fell in love, and the rest of history. So the second fact of his life was his strong commitment to his belief in God and in his service to his church. The third aspect of his being was his desire to always get ahead. His success came early and late and he never rested on his laurels. And lastly, he was a good friend. He was willing to do things and try things, and he was always grateful to be in your presence.

Shortly after the surgery for removing the brain tumor, Ken and I visited them at their home north of Toronto at a country property which was named after his family place in Ireland. He was describing to us his situation, which was that the surgeons had told him he had about six months to live. He had been told that the tumour was removed, but that tentacles left behind would begin to grow. So Gerry was putting his business life in order and was getting ready do die. Ken is a Doctor, and knows that every person is different. Ken asked Gerry a very simple question, "what will happen if you do not die in six months?" There was stunned silence on the other side of the room from Gerry. Ken went on to suggest that it would probably be wise to consider life long term rather than life for six months. Now Gerry liked the concept, and for the next 15 years of his life, he spoke to many many group about that concept and because ot it was helpful to hundreds of folks. This was the essence of Gerry. He heard a good idea and then put it into action, with full steam ahead.

I will always remember fondly his enthusiasm and energy and charm, and I am grateful to have met and known my friend Gerry Mewhirter. In The Salvation Army they would say of Gerry that he has been Promoted To Glory. I think he would agree with the sentiment.

No comments: