Thursday, October 2, 2008

October 2, 2008, Chevy Chase, Md. 21 years.

Our TV has broken down. The night before we left for Nova Scotia, the screen on the television went black. In addition, a loud noise came from the set, so we decided that our TV needed to be replaced. It seemed to us that the set was fairly new and it certainly worked well, at least, it worked well enough for the amount we watched on TV. But then we figured out that this fairly new set was purchased in 1987, when we moved into Franklin Street, so the thing was actually 21 years old. No wonder it needs to be replaced. When we returned from Nova Scotia, we discovered to our surprise that the old thing was still working well, so we put off buying a new set. But tonight we have a problem. We have a picture but no sound. It is fine for the baseball game, but not too good for the debates. Ken has ordered a new TV set on line. The new fancy one will be delivered and installed, and the old one hauled away. We are going to be very fancy and modern, at least the set will be fancy and modern. Unfortunately, we lag far behind from being fancy and modern. In fact, I don't think I have ever been either fancy or modern. even when I was young.

Tonight my granddaughter Sarah phoned me. She called me on my cell phone, in response to a message I left for her Mother Suzanne. Now the message I left for Suzanne was to have her Secretary Sarah call me back, because I had a couple of things to tell her. Sarah has the habit of picking up all the messages on their machine at home, then telling everyone their messages. She will be very helpful by dialing the phone for Suzanne to call folks back. She is a very competent helper. Sure enough, she dialed me herself, by using the return automatic dialer, and we had a very interesting conversation, before she turned me over to her Mother. These young folks are certainly far ahead of us oldsters. She has already placed her picture on my phone by taking a picture of herself on my phone, then putting a heart around her picture, so I have her with me all the time. All four girls are in a play just now. They love it. Their rehearsals are on Thursday and Sunday, so it is quite a time commitment, but the productions are produced and directed with high standards, so the training is excellent. Of course, they love the productions. Their lives are busy.

No comments: