Thursday, April 2, 2009

April 2, 2009. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. San Juan de Abajo.

She was the most elegant lady, about fifty years old, short modern stylishly cut streaked hair, fancy clothes covered with an apron, and she was serving us lunch at her tiny restaurant in San Juan. We looked like country bumpkins along side of her. The place had four tables while she cooked at the back. The place was clean as a whistle. While wandering around town, we stopped it a small fruit store, mainly to talk to the young man and he referred us to this little restaurant, which he said was very economical and with good Mexican food, both of which were true. But this very elegant lady serving us our meal came as a surprise. I guess I thought the cook would be old or fat or frumpy and perhaps all three, but no, the owner was cool and pleasant and happy. She could also cook. Now she spoke no English, so she went to the store next door and returned with a man who lived in Boise, Idaho and who helped us to determine what to eat. Of course, she had no menu. Each day she cooks something to eat and you have two choices, making it easy to choose. Ken ordered the weird new choice and I had the try'd and true enchiladas, both of which were excellent.

Of course, I should have known better because the children are very well dressed in their school uniforms, and clothes were drying all over town on the outside clothes lines. You see these clothes lines everywhere, on top of the buildings and in the center courtyards, so cleanliness is important to the people of San Juan. Of course, I looked into every door that was open to me, so I spied into all the houses both tiny and large. But this lady was a surprise to me. She certainly made me feel frumpy!!

No comments: