Sunday, April 26, 2009

April 26, 2009. Chevy Chase, Md. Andrew.s Birthday

Today on this date, 41 years ago, Andrew was born. It was a glorious occasion. He was big and he yelled when he was born. Ken and I were thrilled. He was born in John Sealy Hospital, at the Medical Center of The University of Texas in Galveston, the same place where Ken was working and where I had worked. My room, which was a large suite, became party central, with everyone coming by to give congratulations and having a bloody mary from the bar which was in my suite. When I came home from the hospital my Mother came down to help and of course we visited friends when she was there. The upshot was that it took me six months to recover from the birth of Andrew, but we all had a great time celebrating his birth. We still are celebrating his birth today.

The farm this weekend was glorious. I always forget that our woods are full of wild cherry trees. These spindly trees are covered with white blossoms as far as you can see in every direction of the farm. The look is almost ethereal. They certainly are beautiful. The temperature was warm, so the leaves seem to come out as you were watching. The red bud was out in force along the roads, especially the old roads. Again, unless you see these trees at just the right moment you would not expect this beauty. Again I needed Phyllis, as I could hear many bird sounds but I was unable to identify them. There were tree swallows in abundance. And the geese are sitting on their eggs, in the same place beside the pond. I am hoping these goslings can be raised. Two more calves to be born. The fields were fertilized two weeks ago, and it shows. The fields are very green. Since we were there last, four inches of rain fell, so between the fertilizer and the rain and the cattle, the farm looks wonderful. The Jay's told us today that the price they are being paid for their milk is exactly half what it was one year ago, and as the milk money is the main cash for Tammy and Bryan, this is not a good thing. It is always the way for the farmers. When a crop is plentiful, the prices go down and right now,in the country there are more milk cows than there were one year ago. It is hard to win as a small farmer. I love the farm, but I certainly would not want to be making my living on the far. In fact, I am sure we could not do it!!

No comments: