Tuesday, April 7, 2009

April 7, 2009. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Books.

I lived through much of the time period, so perhaps that kept me so interested. Or perhaps the author was skillful, but for me, the biography of President Truman was a worthwhile book to read. David McCullough was the author and 'Truman' was the book, published in 1995. I was slow in the reading when it was first published, but I enjoyed it thoroughly now. Politically we are not on the same side of the line, but his work ethic and his refusal to pay attention to anything except what he thought was the right thing is something I admire. Finally and more recently now, the scholars are treating his presidency with great regard,even though he was thought of with disdain when he was President. His lack of arrogance is refreshing in the modern era of politics, also his very hard work as the President. Kindle did it's work. The Truman book was the first book I read on my Kindle. It saved me dragging this large book with me on the plane, in fact, I would never have brought it, as the pages are many and the book is a hard backed book.

Now I am almost through the biography of Flannery O'Connor. Again, I have read everything she wrote and have known quite a lot about her life, from my discussions at my book club, but one thing clear to me when reading her biography is that she was a very smart lady and was a very smart child, so different than most children and adults. It was not until our discussions at
book club all those years ago that I knew that she was a Catholic writer, with a capitol C. Brad Gooch wrote the book, which was published just recently. I have always felt that truly talented people have a much harder time in life than the rest of us who are just hard working and somewhat bright. I put myself in that category. My next book will be a biography of Andrew Jackson, who definitely was not in my era. But Flannery O'Connor was a wonderful writer and I am enjoying reading all about her life.

No comments: