Thursday, April 30, 2009

April 30, 2009. Bethesda, Md. Ontario, Canada>

I was born in Ontario and lived there from 1937 until 1946, when we moved to Calgary Alberta. In Ontario we first lived In Toronto, where I was born. We then were moved by The Salvation Army to Peterborough and then London. Robertson Davies was the Editor of the Peterborough Examiner when we lived there. I returned to Ontario in 1953 from Vancouver, British Columbia along with my parents. My brother David was being married that Fall so stayed in Vancouver along with my sister who was in the wedding. Carol moved to Toronto in the late fall. I lived in Toronto until 1964 when Ken and I moved to Texas. I lived in Ontario almost twenty years, yet if you ask me where I was brought up I will always say Vancouver. This is interesting to me. Perhaps Vancouver is a more interesting place or I lived there at an impressionable age, but really, Toronto is my home town. I met Ken there. I went to school and College there and I married there, but I was happy to move to Texas from Toronto in 1964.

We still have friends and Family in Ontario, so on Friday we are flying to Ontario for two weeks and we will enjoy the place. It is ten years since we spent any time up north near Parry Sound, which is Ken's home town and five years since we visited Dave and Irene in their new home. Our plan was to book two different time shares, one up near Parry Sound in the Muskoka Lake area and one on Lake Simcoe just out side Barrie which is an hour north of Toronto. We have made arrangement for friends and relatives to visit with us while we are in our own places so we will have a happy and busy time up there. The Spring can be difficult because the black flies but the weather will still be cool so perhaps we will be lucky. We both love all the rocks in the Muskoka area but we hate the traffic on Highway 400. Our stay in Ontario will be lovely I am sure, but I bet we will be ready to head south and go home to Bethesda.

1 comment:

dave buckley said...

It was 1945 we moved to Calgary.

Dave.