Friday, December 25, 2009

December 25, 2009. Jackson, Ms. Christmas Day.December 23, 2009. Jackson, Ms. Sweets.

There has never been a better day in the year than Christmas. Tonight at dinner and using the good silver that was Christina's grandmother, I commented that at a time like this, I always hoped and wished that our loved ones who are deceased could look down from heaven and see us at dinner. Sitting around the table were the three lovely girls, Linda Christina's Mother, Andrew and Christina and Ken and I. We were a happy group. I knew that my parents and Linda's parents would be pleased to see the scene, this Christmas 2009.

Andrew cooked the meat, venison stuffed with chives and creamed cheese. Christina fixed cheesy potatoes and sauteed spinach with garlic. The dinner was delicious. Breakfast casserole was served during the opening of the presents which we snacked on all morning. Tea in the afternoon, with ginger cookies were served while we admired the gifts. Dinner was early so Molly could join us for Christmas dinner. I almost forgot the trifle for dessert, prepared by Christina, made of ginger bread cake, cranberry curd and whipped cream. Such a treat.

The best part was watching the girls open their gifts. I have always subscribed to the policy that children enjoy lots of gifts rather than just one large gift, so with my own children I showered the boys with gifts, even tho the gifts were inexpensive. Now with the grandchildren, I do the same thing. Each child is given a large bag, full of stuff that mostly comes from the dollar store, with a few other objects added with some value. Every year the girls receive things necessary for the year. Pens, pencils, hairbrush, socks, paper, scissors, paper, books, post-its, underwear, candy, crackers, hair-clips,and note cards. They love it. This year was special for Kate and Mary Frances and they received something that for them was totally surprising. I will relate that tale tomorrow.
Christmas Day is the most wonderful day of the year, as we have observed all day long.

No comments: