Thursday, December 3, 2009

December 3, 2009. Mexico. Books.

"The Forgotten Garden: A Novel" is a wonderful book. Written by Kate Morton, it involves your brain as well as your emotions to try to figure the whole thing out. It is well worth reading. The Greg Mortenson book is a bit problematic in my opinion. I know, I don't look as if I am a cynic, but I am, especially towards those who do so called good deeds. The book was well reviewed but it seems to me that Greg did exactly what he wanted to do at a time when he did not know what to do at all. He had the choice of attending Medical School, but for some flimsy self serving reason he turned it down, then proceeded to do nothing except climb mountains for the next five years. If his task was to be helpful eventually, he certainly could have done it easier with his medical degree.

I have seen many people in my life who went off to do good deeds for others, when really they were doing more interesting work in their new place than in their old position. Why pretend. Just say "I am bored and need a new challenge", rather than paint themselves as some kind of a martyr and garner all that good will. I have no patience for it. It seems to me that Greg has done just that without regard for his responsibilities at home. It is remarkably selfish behaviour, wrapped in the guise of a saint. I did find the book interesting and a quick read, but time will tell the results of his labor, long term. Certainly Afghanistan and Pakistan are in a mess still. The "Kite Runner" is a much better book, also"Infidel", which is excellent, especially for women.

No comments: