Tuesday, January 5, 2010

January 5, 2010. Jackson, Ms. Antique Stores.

Drive south Highway 49 and you come to a little town called Florence. Watch for the sign "Flea Market and Antiques" and stop, get out of your car and go in. Keep your coat on because the old barn has no heat, but once you get into that big old warehouse you will be in antique heaven. The objects for sale vary from very inexpensive and tacky to beautiful and elegant. I loved the place. What I really loved but did not buy was a solid walnut chest of drawers, very large and lovely and not expensive. Unfortunately I did not need a chest of drawers but that chest was a beauty and a steal at $325. I did buy a small gold frame mirror and a $20. trifle dish I will use as a fruit bowl at the condo. That place in Florence would be perfect to give a girl ten dollars and let them choose something for themselves. They could find bundles of belongings to take home and love.

Next up on the afternoon was a visit to an antique store in Jackson. It is always interesting to see antique stores in new settings. I can tell in minutes if there is anything I can afford in this store, by looking at the price of an object I know well. This new store had only top end objects but they were not expensively prices, which pleased and surprised me. The three women workers were pleasant and knowledgeable and a couple of times when I asked questions they called the owner dealer for the information. We were looking for a secretary type desk for the living room. They had two, but unfortunately, Ken liked one and I liked the other so we purchased neither. But we did buy was a funky arts and crafts cabinet used as a bar and made of oak. It will be useful in this small condominium.

Andrew will come with us to help us get out of the truck and into the condo. Tomorrow we will donate an ugly TV stand to the Goodwill. Again Andrew will help us put the heavy stand in the truck. I love this new piece of furniture but best of all I love poking around the antique stores in a new place.

No comments: