Saturday, January 9, 2010

January 9, 2010. Chevy Chase, Md. Home Again.

It was very odd, but the further north we drove the higher went the air temperature. We left the Virginia Highlands with 4 degree F. temperature and arrived at home with the 32 F. Very unusual indeed. Last time, driving into town on Highway 66 was a horror so this time we drove a bit north and drove on Highway 7, which leads to a new Toll road and takes you right into the Belt. As we still have our EZee pass, we could just drive right through the check points. Why do people hate toll roads? I love them.

We learned several things this trip. 1. Our system for switching drivers has changed; First session two hours. Second session, ninety minutes. Third session, one hour.
2. Repeat after me - we will not make a trip in winter.
3. We will make touristy trips, not forced marches where we are required to be in a certain place at a certain time.
4. We will not drive at night, not ever. Stop early and relax.

My drill at home is always the same. I empty my backpack and put everything in place. I also put away the snacks and switch my purse. Within an hour, I am ready for the next morning. Ken on the other hand takes his time putting things away. He sorts the mail into piles and reads and watches TV. Next on my list is dirty clothes. Last time we were only here a few days and our dirty clothes were never laundered, so this evening I played catch up and now everything in our house is now clean. Tomorrow morning I will change the sheets. It seems foolish, but in my life I can never remember when I changed the sheets. I have taken to laundering the sheets before leaving, then putting the clean sheets and quilts folded on the foot of the bed, something I did in the Mississippi condo.

When I walked into the apartment this afternoon the sun was shining into the living room. It was glorious. Coming home is always lovely even after a great trip.

2 comments:

dave buckley said...

Is there a little confusion between F and C temperatures? 4C is 39F. 32C is 91F. Seems improbable that that was the temperature in DC when you arrived home.

Dave.

Rambling with Ruth said...

Correct. It is always F.