Wednesday, January 6, 2010

January 6, 2010. Jackson, Ms. Mississippi Craft Center.

Every day we drove by this large building. Outside was a sign advertising gifts. Finally, Kan and I went inside. This modern cement and glass building is about half a mile from our condo, but it took until yesterday that we went into the place. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. The Gallery is actually a very large room with glass on three sides, filled with the most wonderful hand crafted objects, all made by Mississippi artists and artisans. The quality of the work was of a very high quality. Even Ken, who does not really like to look at crafts was impressed. We did a quick tour, which took us thirty minutes, bought a couple of books for Andrew and earrings for me, then decided to return tomorrow. Ken fell in love with a beautiful large rocking chair, but it was too expensive and too big for our taste.

Today I returned on my own and instead of purchasing Ken a big beautiful chair, I bought him a small, beautifully crafted wooden step stool. It is lovely and certainly fits into our home and our budget. The best thing I did was buy Birthday presents for both Mary Frances and Kate. I chose five objects for each girl, which the ladies wrapped for me, so now I will not be late for their big day for a change. It was so much fun choosing the objects. Obviously, the pieces had to be affordable and useful or fun for a girl. Kate will be 13 and Mary Frances 10, so my choices were not easy. But I am pleased. Tonight we delivered them to Christina to be hidden until their Birthdays have arrived.

Since we have been in Jackson I have asked many people if they had been to the Mississippi Craft Center, and they all said "No". They have been missing a treat. This place has full of wonderfully hand crafted pieces of art. Be sure to visit when you come to Jackson.

No comments: