Sunday, September 5, 2010

September 5, 2010. Western Head, N.S. Conversations.

It must have seemed like a good idea when I read the review and down loaded it into my Kindle, but the reality was much less that the promise. The title was intriguing, "A Good Talk: The Story and Skill of Conversations", by Daniel Menaker, but do not buy it or read it. Over promised and under performed, in every category. I kept thinking that if I just kept reading further into the book, I would find the meat, but no such luck. The book content is pathetic and the writer in love with himself. The book is not worth reading.

I was looking for some ideas. One of the problems being around retired people is that the discussions seem to center in the past, stories that occurred twenty years ago, when I really like to talk about the future. It is a problem, so I was looking for suggestions. I just remembered one part of the book that was mildly helpful. The author gave several hints when in a conversation with a very boring person. That was actually funny. So I must look further for better ideas. Definitely, "A Good Talk..." was not much help.

No comments: