Friday, April 15, 2011

April 15, 2011. Canyon Lake, Texas. The Interviews.

Linda and I were not sure about joining the world of real estate.  I had just completed my graduate work and was busy interviewing for jobs, along with my research project for the degree.  One thing we knew for sure was that we did not want to be beholden to any boss, so we went to interviews with a list of questions, all leading to us being able to come and go as we pleased.  Linda was perfectly happy with her life, playing golf and tennis and caring for the two children and Bill.  She just wanted to sell four houses a year.   I was not sure I would like it at all.

The amazing part of the interviewing process was the results.  Even though we were difficult, everyone wanted us to join their office.   One owner/broker urged us repeatedly to join his office in Chevy Chase even though during the interview I got the giggles and could not stop laughing right until the end, when Linda and I ended the interview right in the midst of his talk about his company.  It was all frightfully unprofessional.

We selected a small one office in Bethesda, which had a reputation for having good ethical standards.  There was also two brokers, so we figured always one broker would be available to help.   Linda proceeded to do exactly what she set out to do.  She retired the same year as me in 2010,  after selling three or four houses a year  since 1978, the year we got our license.  And she stayed with the same broker.  I on the other hand, took to the business like duck to water.  And the rest of history.

No comments: