Wednesday, October 26, 2011

October 26, 2011. Artemas, PA. Cooking in Provence.

Visiting Provence is worthwhile.  And learning to cook in Provence is an extra blessing.   One of our outings from the boat was visiting a lovely old town whose name escapes me.  In the late afternoon we were offered cooking classes,  Provence style.  Twenty of us made the choice so soon we were chopping and cutting and eating.  Even though I never cook, it was fun.  The three professional chefs told us what to do and we did it.  Our three groups rotated from one thing to the next.  My group ate desert first, followed by an appetizer and finally, the main course.  Of course, we drank local red wine the whole time.

The chefs were young and energetic all from the Culinary Institute of Provence, where we cooked.  One young chef asked us students what we liked to cook best, I am sure to build rapport and break the ice.  Unfortunately he asked me first and a look of horror came over his face when I told him that I did not cook.  His only response was to say, "Well, you are going to cook today so now please chop this parsley".   Everyone laughed.  He never did ask anyone else the question.

We dutifully brought back the recipes but yesterday I pitched them.  It was fun in Provence surrounded by other friendly people but back here at home, not a prayer will I cook them.

No comments: