Saturday, October 1, 2011

October 1, 2011. Artemas, PA. Madame Curie.

It seemed like such a good idea.  Madame Curie was interested only in science but she knew that every so often she would be required to attend receptions or accept awards, so she purchased a basic black dress which she wore for the rest of her life, but only for special occasions.  When I was young and reading her biography,  I was charmed with the idea.  Such a sensible thing to do.  Now a new biography has been published and although I read a review of the book,  I will not read it.  First of all, I have read two books in my life telling of the life of Madame Curie.   In addition,  this new book seems loaded with interpretation,  with the view of a modern woman.

But I enjoyed being reminded that Madame Curie won two Nobel prizes, and one of her daughters and her husband won one too.  Both are records.  She was a remarkable woman and I am pleased that the modern women are paying her some attention.  But I won't read the new book.

No comments: