Monday, February 27, 2012

February 27, 2012. Jackson, Mississippi. Mississippi Health.

Ken and I spent all morning dealing with the good folks at the Mississippi health officials.  Every person was competent and pleasant and helpful.  It was a wonder to behold.

One thin black man works as a guard at the entrance of the Medical Mall.   He helps people out of their cars and directs people where to go.  He comes inside to tell those waiting that their car has arrived.  He greets every one coming into the Cancer Clinics.  In other words, he has a perfectly ordinary low skilled job  that does not require degrees or extensive technical training.
But his job is important to him and to all the patients.    He knows what he is doing and why.

When I was ready to leave, I told him how well he had done all morning.  I had been sitting in the waiting room waiting for Ken to pick me up, so had observed his manner.   His comment did not surprise me.  "I try to be polite to everyone because I know they will have a difficult time at the clinic.  I want everyone to feel good when they leave here", said the thin black man at the Medical Mall.  He made me feel good just watching him work.

No comments: