Wednesday, November 5, 2014

November 5, 2014. Fredericksburg, Texas. So Clever.

The back roads in Texas are designed to have rain water run across the low areas. In many places, a rain gauge is installed beside the road, so the driver can tell how much water is covering the low spots. When we first moved to Texas in 1964, we thought it was joke as most rivers which we could see on the maps were actually dry. But then it rained and we realized that several roads in Galveston were closed due to the high water. We decided that as it had rained already for 24 hours and the forecast was for more rain. Tomorrow morning I would be driving to my Doctor's appointment in the dark, which would be difficult. I suggested to Ken that we drive to Fredericksburg this afternoon in the daylight and stay overnight, which we did. Ken found an excellent restaurant too so we are feeling smug. Several times during the road today the water covered the roads so I was pleased to be driving when I could see the water ahead of time. It is not often that we are so clever at planning ahead, but today we did well. We are all set for my appointment tomorrow.

No comments: