Tuesday, April 26, 2016

April 26, 2016. Madison, Mississippi. Valet Parking.

The Cancer Center at the University of Mississippi has excellent facilities.  And it is big.   Everything you might need for treatment,  care and testing is all together so it is easy for both patients and physicians.   And there is ample free parking.    Every time I enter the building, a thin man with a shirt that says VALET greets you at the door with a friendly smile and jolly hello.  He has a severe limp so I suspect he is missing a limb but he is on duty, ready to park your car if you are too weak to walk.  

During the day, he also visits people around the first floor to chat.  It must be boring for him all by himself at the front waiting for someone to ask him to park their car.    I have seen him visiting with the receptionists at the Pet scan unit and at the main admission desk.  Today he stopped to chat with the nurses who take vital signs and five minutes later he was visiting the ladies who draw blood.  Everyone seemed pleased to chat with him as he is a friendly fellow.

The only problem is that while he is visiting, he is not parking your car.  Once when it was raining hard and I was weak and feeble, I decided to have him park my car but he was no where to be found, so I did it myself.  As I was leaving, I asked him about his absence.   He told me that if he is not there, I should just park my car in front and give my keys to the front desk.   "Everyone knows the system," says he.  Except not me.   His greeting is always so cheery and welcoming but I wish he would stay at his place.   Why have a person park your car if he is not there when you need him?   I often wonder how many cars he parks in a day.   People coming into a cancer center are anxious so his demeanor is helpful and knowing that he parks cars makes you feel good too  The VALET on his shirt is large so I suspect he is helpful to patients even if he never valet parks any cars.   In the whole scheme of things at the cancer center, he is a plus and I should not be a grump.  His greetings and farewells makes you think you are leaving a good friend.  I should be grateful!!

No comments: