Thursday, April 7, 2016

April 7, 2016. Madison, Mississippi. Glasses.

My first reading glasses I purchased at a drug store in Hagerstown for $2.50.   They have worked well.  I still carry them in the truck for when I am using maps, which are devilishly difficult  to read.    I purchased them when my first cataract was removed.  After the surgery was done in both eyes,  my vision was 20/20 and I could adjust for reading too so for the first time since I was 7 years old,  I needed no glasses, except for reading the maps.   Such a wonderful world to not need glasses.

In the middle of the night after my first bout of infusion chemotherapy,  the large blue painting adjacent to our bed looked blurred.   I knew that something was happening to my eyes.  Several months later I was seeing 20/60 so needed glasses and have used them ever since.  And I must wear reading glasses.  I placed drug store glasses beside every chair but I still can not read properly.  This week I saw the eye doctor.  He has no idea why my eyes are changing but this time I needed to get stronger distance glasses and I was forced to get prescription reading glasses because the eyes are different.  The cheap glasses will not work.  I am pleased.  I will once again be able to read signs and to read books and magazines comfortably.  

When I was growing up, the eye doctors all told me that when I stopped growing my eyes would stop getting worse.  They were wrong.  When I got older, my vision started to get better, until now.   Now I am taking no chemotherapy so perhaps my eyes will become stable.  We are going to see.  At the moment, I am happy as I can see and I can read with the help of my new glasses.

No comments: