Tuesday, June 13, 2017

June 13, 2017. Harper, Texas. Sentimental

I don't think of my self as sentimental but sitting on the dining table ready to be packed tomorrow would tell you that I am.  Three objects give me away.

!. When I was going through a drawer in the bathroom, I found a jar of Noxema.  I do not use Noxema.  I have never used Noxema, but my Mother did.  When she died, my sister Carol and I sorted belongings in her apartment.  In the medicine cabinet I found a blue jar of Noxema cream.  I popped it into my bag and it has been in my bathrooms ever since.

2. I have no use for this set of dishes but they were a wedding gift from Phyllis Braund, a family friend from Peterborough.  For many years I used them for my best even though they were not fine china.  When Ken gave me good dishes, I began to use them for everyday.  The pattern is a pretty bamboo.  When I inherited Miss. Tomlinson's dishes, I put the bamboo on the top shelf, until we built the Top House where we use it all the time.  I like using these dishes and I was not prepared to leave them behind.  Maybe one of the twins will want to use the dishes in their first apartment.  

3.  Also being packed is a set of silver.  This set is not sterling and they have been used for 59 years so are scratched and dented, but for many years, that set was my best silver and was always used in the dining room.  My sister and then husband gave us that silver as a wedding gift.  As she was a Salvation Army officer at the time, she must have stretched to buy the set for us.  Once again, I have no real use for that silver set, but it is being packed tomorrow.  Perhaps I will put the set in with all the other flat ware at the lake.

There is no practical purpose to keep those objects, but every tine I see them it makes me smile.  For sentimental reasons only I am keeping those objects with me.  They are part of my history.

No comments: