Thursday, June 29, 2017

June 29, 2017. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Flannel Sheets.

There is nothing better on a cool evening than sleeping on flannel sheets.  In Nova Scotia, we keep flannel sheets on the bed all year so when I crawled into bed last evening I breathed a sigh of relief.   The bed was warm.  Evenings are cool here, even in the summer so we keep the windows open most of the time and keep warm with our flannel sheets.   And we use a quilt made by Eleanor to keep warm too.

Because we were driving when we first moved here, I brought good flannel sheets with us purchased at Bloomingdales.  I loved them but eventually the bottom fitted sheet ripped.   I  replaced it with a set from town and it was awful.  Then Ken ordered sheets on line but when they arrived they were not flannel.  In addition they sent 2 fitted sheets.  The company sent a new full set but in the meantime, Ken ordered the proper set of flannel sheets.  Before we came this year, I could not recall what flannel sheets we were using but the minute I saw the bed I remembered.   At the Top House at the ranch I have a good set of flannel sheets that I used in the winter.  I almost brought them with me but fortunately, they would not fit into my little roll on case.    The set is now on a shelf beside my bed in Texas, ready to be taken to Mississippi, where they do have cool winters.

I love getting into fresh sheets.  When I was young, my Mother dried sheets outside and the new sheets smelled heavenly.  And I also love getting into bed when the evening is cool and the sheets are made of cotton flannel.  That is my idea of heaven.  Simple pleasures make for a happy heart.

No comments: