Friday, March 2, 2018

March 2, 2018. Playa Royale, Mexico. Birds.

Hurrah.  For the first time since living in Nuevo Vallarta I have seen White Pelicans.  While  sitting on the balcony this morning I spotted them  busily making their meal on Banderas Bay.  My friend Pat C. has seen them from my balcony, but not me, at  least not until today.  I was delighted.  Not too long ago we saw a flock in Mississippi at the Reservoir, which was unusual.  We see lots and lots of brown pelicans here.  Ian watched this morning as they dove for their meal.  He wondered why they do not break their necks as the water is sometimes shallow.  And the height they dive from is high.  I have read that sometimes they do misjudge the water.    But I have never seen an accident.  The white pelicans sit down on the top of the water for a second then quickly spring up in the air to spot more fish.  I am always surprised how such large birds launch into the air immediately.  It is quite a sight.

My friend Alice Anne has spent time in February finding new birds in Texas.   I was amazed that one bird she was looking for was a wild  turkey.  Near the end of one trip, she was afraid she would be unsuccessful but just as they were leaving, they spotted a flock.  Now a wild turkey is on her list.  What surprised me was that she had never seen a wild turkey.  Frequently, at the farm in Pennsylvania, we saw wild turkeys so they seemed common for us.   Once, when Ken was walking at the top of a hill, he heard a huge noise, which turned out to be a large flock of turkey leaving their roost in a tree.  He said it sounded like an airplane taking off.  We many times saw long lines marching across our fields.  But those wild turkeys are smart.  They hide and are difficult to see them on command.  But after a snow, you know that wild turkeys were always everywhere because you could see their tracks.   In Pennsylvania, wild turkeys are abundant but not so in Texas, at least not in Galveston.

But now Alice Anne has seen her first wild turkey and I a white pelican.  Nifty.

No comments: