Monday, September 13, 2021

September 13, 2021. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Arena Walking.

For the first time this season, I was forced inside to walk in the hockey arena. The rain was coming down hard when we were heading into town this morning so even though we brought along our rain coat, waslking outside would have been miserable. So Anna and I went to the arena. Queens Place, also called the Emera Center, is a lovely facility. It houses the hockey rink, a walking oval at the top and a fitness center with lots of machines. It is kept clean as a whistle. During the winter months, it is well used but in the summer few people come to walk. They walk outside. Ever since it opened, we have uses the facility to walk. Gill attends the exercise classes and Clif uses the machines. But I just use the track for walking. Ken and I used the track three times a week. It was an easy place for Ken to walk because even though it is boring, it was safe. The first year I was by myself in 2019, I walked at the arena most of the time for the same reason: it was safe, with the rail close beside. Twice during the summer we walked along the river. Then last year, we walked outside along the river most of the time. Only twice did we walk inside. The same for this year. Anna and I walked along the river every Monday and Friday. The weather had been perfect to walk outside. Today walking inside was interesting. The track is a type of rubber so is easier on my legs. The path along the river is level but is cement so is hard. And because I am close to the rail, I can walk faster. So it is actually easier for me to walk in the arena rather than outside beside the river. Today I even had entertainment because people were skating on the rink, which is kept with ice all summer. But we will continue my walking outside when the weather is good because it is beautiful walking along the park and watching the gulls. But walking today was a hit and a good reminder of the Queens Place facility.

No comments: