Wednesday, September 22, 2021

September 22, 2021. Western Head, Nova Scotia. The Rock Wall.

21 yesrs ago, Everitt installed a rock wall to cut down erosion. The rocks were large and the girls painted the rocks every year. But recently, I do not go down by the water so this year when looking at the water I was unable to see the rocks. Wonderful Wendy took a picture and sure enough, the large rocks have tumbled down the hill. I now have land eroding into the sea. I can either install a new rock wall to cut down erosion or I can ignore it and allow the land to erode, thus making the lawn by the water smaller. After all, I am 83. Unfortunately, Everitt has died. I contacted the company that looks after the road. They came to inspect and they made a proposal. But they kept asking me what I wanted them to do. I of course have no idea but I had them draw up a sketch of what they would do and give me a price, which they did. As expected, it was a high price. After consulting with son David, we decided to get two other estimates which is not se easy. The first company of excavators was too busy. Another man Jeff came to look and brought his head man to look and told me he would get back to me next week, which was two weeks ago. I still have not received his estimate but at least he told me what I needed to stop erosion. Then friend David suggested another man named Doug to have the work done so I called him. Today he came to inspect. As an aside, he has the most wonderful Nova Scotia accent. He will come back to measure and then give me an estimate. He did not ask me what I wanted. He told me what he would do. So for the past two months, I have been working on trying to decide about the rock wall. I have one week before leaving. No one can do the work this year anyway because they are too busy. Sooner or later I will make a decision. But not yet because I do not have enough information. But maybe soon.

No comments: