Friday, February 26, 2010

February 26, 2010. Chevy Chase, Md. Gifts.

Unexpected gifts are always delightful. A package arrived at the office addressed to me. No birthday, no Christmas, no anniversary, but someone had sent me a gift. I know it is a gift because the package comes from Canada, and the customs requires the contents written on the outside of the package. So I know it is a book and I know it is a gift and I know it is from my sister-in-law Irene. The book is small and light in weight so it is for sure a paper back book. It always takes me a few moments to open a gift. I like to guess the content of the book. Finally I open the package, along with Carol E. who is trying to work. I am charmed with my gift.

The book is not actually a traditional book, but is a book of post cards with one theme only. "The Reading Woman". Irene bought this book of post cards at the Art Gallery in Toronto and is a post card of paintings of women reading a book. The artists are famous and obscure and I love them all. I think I will not use these post cards, but will keep them together as a book. But what I am going to do is begin a collection and I will seek out paintings of women reading. My friend Gill has a wonderful collection of mothers and babies, so I will search for paintings of a woman reading a book. You just never know what you find when you search high and low. In ten years time, when you visit us to see our art, I will tell you that my collection began with a small gift.

2 comments:

dave buckley said...

In the interests of accuracy, it was Tbne art Gallery of Hamilton, not Toronro.

Dave.

dave buckley said...

My typing obviously is not good but I guess everyone got the message.

Dave.