Thursday, February 4, 2010

February 4, 2010. Mexico. Reading.

Joe Queenen is a new writer to me. I read a review of his book when reading a lengthy review of travel writers, which said his travel writing was entertaining and interesting too, so I took the recommendation and downloaded his "Queenen Country" into my Kindle. As I had never read his work, I also bought "Closing Time" by him. He is a good writer for sure and I was glad I have read them but I would like to talk to someone else who has also read him to try to figure it out.

For instance, he spent six weeks alone in Britain, travelling and talking and touristing. In his book "Queenen Country" he makes fun of the foibles of the British both individually and collectively, then in the last chapter he describes how much he loves the place and the people. Now his humor has an edge of hostility, so the book is not as funny as the Bill Bryson book about travelling and living in England. "Closing Time" is an autobiography or rather a story about his Father, who was a terrible man. I understood his edge of hostility apparent in his humor book, because I suspect that underneath he is a very hostile man. Normally I do not read about unhappy family stories, but having read the first book I wanted to understand the book of travel and ended up reading the Closing Time from start to end with no stops in between. I'm sure it is not a good thing to do for my eyes. He is a fine writer and worth a read!!

No comments: